I’m a huge coffee lover and even more in love with the business of coffee. Square and the Specialty Coffee Association conducted a report on how independent coffee shops in the U.S. managed the pandemic, shelter-in-place and social-distancing guidelines through the months of March and April of 2020.
In summary, here’s what they found according to Square data:
- 3 in 4 Square coffee sellers continued serving customers during shelter-in-place orders
- Curbside pickup, Home delivery and Grocery-Style Markets dominated
- Combined sales of curbside and/or pickup orders increases by 5,380%
- 521% Increase in coffee shops offering curbside and/or pickup
- Delivery increased by 340%
- Cashless Coffee shops were up 26% by late April
- Average ticket size was up 25%
- At Home Coffee Subscription was up 109%
- Coffee subscription median price $14.25/per month
- Cold Brew Growlers sales increased by 129%
- Top-selling cold brew growler median price $13
- Coffee equipment such as coffee makers, electric kettles, etc. increased 11%
- Coffee equipment median sales price $139
- There was a 806% increase in healthcare donations of coffee since the shelter in place.
- 400% increase in the number of coffee shops offering healthcare donations.
- Almost a 2x increase in median price for healthcare donation sales from $5.75 to $10.